U.S. Office of Palestinian Affairs and EducationUSA Celebrate International Education Week 2022
PRESS STATEMENT – For Immediate Release
November 14, 2022
November 14-18, 2022 will mark the 23rd annual International Education Week (IEW). IEW is a joint initiative of the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of State that celebrates the importance and benefits of international education in the United States and around the world.
During the month of November, the U.S. Office of Palestinian Affairs in Jerusalem, in cooperation with its EducationUSA advisors in the West Bank and Gaza, will commemorate IEW2022 with a variety of activities that underscore the importance of education to build job skills among Palestinian youth and prepare them to be good leaders and global citizens. Check out our social media for links to virtual events. Events include:
- November 14: IEW Open House. In-person session at America House Jerusalem from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- November 14: IEW Open House. In-person session at American International School in Gaza from 12 p.m. to 3:30 p.m
- November 14-18: Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). Virtual session with the U.S. Commercial Service and EducationUSA. Registration and more information: https://usastudydestinationwomenstem.itamatch.com/
- November 16: Study in the U.S. Virtual session on Graduate Studies.
- November 17: Find the Right College for You. Virtual session with College Board expert at 4 p.m.
- November 20: Study with U.S. Virtual session on Undergraduate and Graduate Studies.
- November 20: Study with U.S. – Higher Education Experts. In-person session at Red Crescent in Ramallah at 3 p.m.
- November 21: Study with U.S. – Higher Education Experts. In-person session at Bethlehem University at 3 p.m.
- November 22: Study with U.S. – Higher Education Experts. In-person session at America House Jerusalem at 3 p.m.
IEW also highlights the extensive education cooperation between the U.S government and Palestinians. In Academic Year 2021-2022, nearly 485 Palestinian students studied in the United States, an increase of 14.4 percent from the previous year.
The U.S. Office of Palestinian Affairs administers the largest Access English Language program in the world, with over 1,100 high school students active in the program now and 11,000 alumni. We also run a unique program with Amideast called Access for Adults, which targets Palestinian adults to develop their English language skills and expose them to American history, culture, and values. Each year, our three American Spaces (America House Jerusalem, America House Ramallah, and American Space Hebron with the Youth Development Resource Center) provide free English language, skills building, and STEM courses to more than 5,000 Palestinian youth to improve their educational and economic opportunities. Lastly, the U.S. Office of Palestinian Affairs sponsors approximately 200 Palestinian students, academics, and professionals to travel to the United States annually on exchange programs. In Academic Year 2021-2022, nearly 485 Palestinian students studied in the United States, an increase of 14.4 percent from the previous year.
The United States remains the top destination for international students, with over 948,000 international students during the 2021/2022 academic year. The increase in the number of international students studying in the United States, combined with the efforts of our consular officers to prioritize student visas, demonstrates that the U.S. continues to be open for opportunity.
For more information, go online to https://iew.state.gov, https://opendoorsdata.org, or please contact us at USPalestinianAffairs@state.gov.